Monday 29 May 2023

Buddy

 

A painting of a Border Collie called Buddy using Pastel Pencils
"Buddy"


After the success of the last double dog portrait I did for my nephew, my sister and brother-in-law asked me to do another for their friend who has recently lost his Collie called Buddy. 

Once again it is with Pastel Pencils. I have always avoided Pastels because my one brief early attempt with them was a disaster and created nothing more than a horrible, dusty mess. I decided they just weren't for me. When someone bought me a small tin of Faber-Castell Pitt Pastel Pencils I attempted to paint a tiger and was very surprised with the result. Now they are my medium-of-choice when faced with a pet portrait to paint. I remain in awe of all those who can create their art using the chalky stick variety.

Other animal portraits on my web site

6 comments:

  1. Love those eyes!!! I've never really used pastels much. Like charcoal, to me they are too messy. The pastel pencils may be better. Your shading and texture with them is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Joan. Yes, the pencils are a different proposition altogether.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful. You have a great touch with the pencils. I prefer the sticks and playing in the dust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I envy your skills with the messy sticks and wish I could do as well.

      Delete
  3. Oow those asking eyes are soo well done !!

    Typical Kolder bollie isn't it.

    Don't know if I should make a remark but I'm just take the risk, ...
    Have you ever use a white off paper as base?
    I might make the drawing somewhat softer if you know what I mean.

    Anyhow's well very well done !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet tried off-white paper but was thinking of getting a pad of mixed shades. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you