Friday 28 July 2023

The Surfer


From time-to-time I get the urge to tackle a seriously challenging pencil drawing. When this happens I like to find a subject that has drama or is a little bit out of the ordinary. When looking for a suitable subject I pass over hundreds that just don't shout out at me whether I think they're do-able or not.

I actually fancied doing another stormy sea drawing like the ones I've done previously of the lifeboats or ship in distress. While I was browsing Pixabay (for anyone who hasn't heard of it, it's an amazing copyright-free resource) for a suitable subject I came across a photo of this surfer. It's not exactly a 'stormy sea' but it has the crashing waves and breaking surf and it was definitely shouting out at me. I just couldn't resist having a go at it. 

Oh, and it was certainly challenging.  :lol:

(Drawn on Winsor & Newton Medium Surface Cartridge paper using a 2B mechanical pencil and is 11" x 14")

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful work on the spray of the water and the sheen on his wetsuit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously very good drawing! ..... ann hyde

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you