Sunday 5 March 2023

Pyrography - Second attempt.

a photo of a drawing of an old boathouse drawn on wood using a wood burner


I was so pleased with my first wood-burning attempt that I decided to jump straight in and have another go, this time at something a little more ambitious.

Not knowing which is the best wood for burning I thought I'd try anything and found an offcut of feather-edged fencing board. The wood was a bit rough so I sanded it to smooth up the surface. For a subject I chose the Clumber Park Boat house from one of my forums old Monthly Painting Projects. I've drawn this subject a few times in pencil and pen, and it felt like the sort of thing that might work well with a wodd burner. I'm very pleased with the way the 'drawing' turned out and, as usual, learned a great deal from the process. In particular, I was surprised by how much the burner 'caught' in the grain of the wood despite being smooth to the touch. I also found areas of the wood that burned easily and others that didn't. I think wood selection is going to be very important if I decide to a serious drawing.

Pyrography is certainly something I'm enjoying. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow this is absolutely wonderful. Old buildings are such perfect subjects for Pyrography. Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece. Have a blessed start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about old buildings, and wooden shacks like this one are perfect subjects. I have a canal scene with cottages in the pipeline that I'm excited about. Thank you very much Debbie.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, pyrography! My grandmother did something like this, but she made outlines with the burner and filled in with paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. Filling in with paint is something I'd like to try once I've got the hang of the burning.

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you