Wednesday 19 August 2009

Hover Fly

I am gradually building a collection of photo's of the flowers in my garden with the objective of showing that the garden has something flowering every month of the year.

You can see what I have so far on "My Garden" page.

On this particular occasion I was taking a photo of a Dwarf Dahlia that has a lovely peachy/orange colour but it was being visited by a Hover Fly.

I brushed the fly away a couple of times, but he insisted on coming back, so in the time proven spirit of working with what we have, I made the fly the subject.

For the technically minded, I was interested to learn that there are over 6000 species of Hover Fly. Looking at the most common, I suspect this one is Episyrphus Balteatus. Despite their wasp-like markings, they are harmless and gardeners should delight in their presence as they feed on Aphids.

Before taking these photo's I hadn't realised how colourful and beneficial these little chappies can be. We live and learn. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. What a great subject it is too. I see that an aphid has sneaked in as well, or did you not want to draw attention to that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL ... I didn't see that little blighter until I was looking at the photo's some time later. Did think about editing him out but decided to leave it as is.

    Thanks Keith

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you