Wednesday 5 July 2023

Kiya

 

A pastel drawing of a Cocker Spaniel dog
"Kiya"

We have a saying here in the UK to describe when an event doesn't occur for a very long time and then all of a sudden it happens multiple times. We say "They're just like buses ... you wait all day for one and then three come along at once". That's what has happened to me with regards to Dog portraits.

A short while ago I was asked to do a double portrait of Rocky and Alfie for a relative. That was quickly followed by a request to paint Buddy for the relatives friend after he'd seen the Rocky & Alfie portrait. When I handed Buddy over to my Brother-in-law for him to give to his friend, he quickly followed it up by asking if I'd do another one for the friends friend. 

This time it is a Cocker Spaniel called Kiya who passed away unexpectedly. Apparently Kiya's owners only had a few photo's on their phone and desperately wanted something better to remember him/her by. Obviously I agreed and sharpened up my pastel pencils.

Previous Dog portraits in pastels

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you captured some lovely "faces". Well done. Bet you will be getting more requests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jo, that's very kind of you.

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful these all are John. I love how you captured that special look in their eyes. You can certainly feel each ones personality as if they were directly in the room with us. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eyes are the windows to their souls and I don't touch anything else until I have the eyes right. I really appreciate your comment Debbie, thank you.

      Delete
  3. Oh...what a sweetie! You do the fur so well and capture the personality showing in their eyes. It's no wonder you have so many requests for pet portraits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joan, that's greatly appreciated.

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you