Friday 30 June 2023

Old fishing boat

A Pen & Wash painting of an old fishing boat
"Old Fishing Boat" using Pen & Wash


Boats of all shapes and sizes make good subjects for painting and really old, well worn boats are especially attractive. I don't know if this old fishing boat is still in use today as its badly flaking paint, rust stained hull and rotting wooden boards have certainly seen better days. 

My first version of this appealing subject was actually a sketch using a non-permanent pen and a water brush. Though I don't do a great deal of sketching outdoors (which I intend to rectify), the pen and water brush combination makes an ideal, easy to carry, outdoor sketching kit.



Other boat paintings on my web site

11 comments:

  1. I always say to people that being good at one thing can take away your edge. You prove this: you move from subject to subject with ease, keeping the challenges alive and your work fresh. This makes being retired a blessing and gives you something to get up for each morning. You certainly are the best pencil artist I know, and your P & I isn't far behind that. Proud to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the nicest comments I've received in my blog John and I'm lost for words. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I like the weathered look you were able to get from the ink in the pen and watercolor sketch at the top. There's a lot to admire and look at there! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. You captured the old weathered look perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not wanted to be harsh, but just a few words to make get you think:

    Bistre,
    Matchstick
    Edward Wesson


    Boats are like figures I imagine, especially characterfull ones.

    Well, very well done !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. René PleinAir was the name of Anony mouse ;-) tho

      Delete
    2. I agree, boats can have lots of character. Thank you Rene

      Delete
  5. You make this old boat look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you