Monday 21 July 2008

The Cavalry

A week or two ago I noticed a very large number of Black Fly colonising on my Runner Beans, Peas and few plants around the garden. I haven't had the time to do anything about it, but even if I had, I am reluctant to spray chemicals, even 'safe' ones.

Yesterday I went to inspect my 'veg' and the Black Fly didn't seem quite as bad as it had been. Then I saw the reason. As I watched, a 'Ladybird' appeared from beneath a leaf. A moment later, another one. When I inspected the plants more closely I found many Ladybirds munching away on those horrible little black flies. Hurray, the cavalry had arrived.

Now, being a complete ignoramus in such matters, I do need to look up why Ladybirds come in different colours and varieties. Most of mine are orange with black spots, there are a few of the traditional red with black spots, and just the odd one of the black with orange spot variety. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is a variety of Ladybird that is not so nice and not so beneficial in the garden, but I can't recall the details now. I'll go and do some research as soon as I can but, in the meantime, if you know more about this then please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you