Tuesday 21 June 2011

Summer is here!

For a while now I've fancied trying my hand at drawing something silver. I like the way black and grey pencil strokes can combine on white paper to make an object look metallic and shiny. But though I've had the notion at the back of my mind for quite some time, I've not come across a suitable object to draw. By suitable I mean, takes my fancy.

Anyway, at the weekend, despite the frequent showers, we decided to have a barbecue and when I fished out all the paraphernalia what did I find but my stainless steel utensils. No, not silver, but the same difference as far as a drawing is concerned. "Ping" .... it was like the proverbial light bulb being switched on.

I was very pleased with the initial drawing of the objects but they didn't stand out from the background enough to 'shine'. Since lights come from darks, I shaded the background and that has worked just fine. This isn't one of my favourite pieces, but it was a great exercise .... and the burgers were good too.

8 comments:

  1. This is fabulous John! It really does look like metal - even my husband commented on how good it is!
    I love drawing metal - though I have always chosen charcoal for the subject. I haven't done it for a long time though. I must do another some time.
    I'm glad you are having some bbq weather, because all we are getting at the moment is wind and rain, lol! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandra. We're also getting the rain but the sun came out Sunday afternoon, just in time for Fathers Day and my dad (93) loves a good barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Ping!! this one rings the bell.
    Earlier I wasn't able to get more than a thumbnail and it looked good but nothing like this closeup.. It's excellent!! You have the knack for silver alright. I've not tried anything like that.. yet.
    It's barbeque time every day in Florida...and you don't even need a grill ... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - sounds pretty warm over there. Thanks BJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, John - I honestly thought this was going to be a photograph from the thumbnail and it looks even better in full view! Very nice drawing indeed. I really admire anyone that can draw or paint in a realistic style and I really struggle with it and so stick with a more impressionist method! We would have had a barbecue too but I'm not particularly fond of rain marinaded chicken ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the nice comment Michael - I appreciate it. Rain marinaded chicken - LOL. Sounds as if we're the only ones to have had any sunshine on Sunday. What's that saying about 'righteous'? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The handles look particularly good here John.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you