Monday 27 February 2017

A little nostalgia

Once upon a time, as a young teenager, my friends and I used to go train-spotting. Sometimes, as a special treat, we would take a packed lunch and catch a train ride to another station a stop or two down the line so we could 'spot' other trains. One very regular engine on those runs was an Ivatt class, 2MT 2-6-2T No 41218.  It was built at Crewe works in September 1948 and remained in service until July 1965 when it was withdrawn and ultimately scrapped.

My brother-in-law/cousin is a keen train enthusiast with a substantial model layout in his spare room. He also used to train spot at the same time as I did and it was reminiscing with him that inspired me to want to do a drawing of this fondly remembered engine. Fired with interest I did some googling and found a couple of photo's of similar engines (different numbers but the same class) online. I used them for reference to recreate engine 41218 in graphite. 

It's been a long time since I last did anything like this and I thoroughly enjoyed every second.

N.B. For any beginners interested I've posted a series of Work-in-progress photo's on my web site.

10 comments:

  1. This is an amazing drawing John. And what memories.!! Isn't it wonderful when we could go on-line to get some reference photos? You never disappoint us with your work....(I love how you painted the steam as well.......so realistic)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind Hilda, thank you. Yes, we take the internet for granted these days but I can't imagine how I'd have ever found a suitable reference photo without it.

      Delete
  2. Hi John. As Hilda above said it's an amazing drawing . I agree with her. It is an amazin drawing.
    I have never seen a better drawing. Well done mate. .
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vic, I appreciate that very much. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I've been catching up to my blogging friends and realized its been awhile that you posted one of your masterpieces....hope you're well!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say Hilda, thank you very much. Yes, I'm very well, just lacking time and motivation .... more motivation than anything else. Maybe this is the kick in the backside I needed to get me going again. I hope you're well and hugs back to you. ;-)

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you