Monday 5 October 2015

Tempus fugit and all that.


It's been over 4-months since I last posted. In my last post I mentioned that summer was almost here, and as I write this I can't help but notice that it's now over. I also note that my last post said I was determined to do some urban sketching this summer but I've failed miserably and haven't ventured out with my sketchbook once. What happened to the summer? 

That said, I am recently back from a wonderful holiday in Northumberland during which I succeeded in sketching en plein air on several occasions. I sketched Bamburgh Castle in the rain, the Millenium Bridge in Newcastle in the sunshine and Lindisfarne Castle on a dry but cold and windy day. Yep, British weather at it's best. The sketch of Warkworth Castle was a bit of a cheat as I used a tourist leaflet as a source of reference. 


Keen to pursue my interest in Pen and Ink work I recently tackled this picture of Willy Lott's Cottage. I'm sure you're all familiar with it but for anyone who isn't, Willy Lott's Cottage was made famous by John Constable in his painting "The Hay Wain", and he included it in a number of his other works too. It is in Flatford, Suffolk, which was an area Constable painted frequently.

Pen and Ink seems to be my preferred medium at this time and I'm keen to progress it. Although I'm feeling much more competent with the medium than I ever did with watercolour I still feel that my marks, especially hatching, have a 'novice' look to them. Hopefully, the more I do, the more 'natural' the marks will look. With fingers crossed I shall march onwards and upwards as this is a medium I'm really feeling at home with. ;-)

17 comments:

  1. Time passes by too quickly John...glad you're back! I love your first sketch of Warkworth Cottage..
    Amazing work! And you did an outstanding job on Willy Lotts Cottage! Wonderful work on the reflections!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Hilda, I really appreciate that. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back John. Like you say, where did the Summer go, but good to see you enjoyed your trip to Northumberland and got some great pen and ink work done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were missed, John. At the risk of sounding patronising, your pen and work is going from strength to strength you will soon be up to your graphite level which is excellent. As you say, it's all about practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind John. I'll never achieve your amazing heights but I'll keep plugging away. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hi John.
    Lovely to see you back mate. All fantastic Drawings, okay some sketches but the drawings are fantastic. Willy Lott`s cottage is a favourite of mine because I spent a lot of time there painting and drawing. I even spent a week living in a little room there all to myself. I even spent another week there on a photographic course. I had the time of my life, love it. Fantastic drawing of it john. All the best mate.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that must have been Vic, actually living there for a while. And it must have made a fabulous subject for a photography course. I can understand why you had the time of your life. Thanks Vic and all the best.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful!
    Do you mind if I draw the last drawing?
    Thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robert. No, I don't mind if you draw it ... glad you like it. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Very much, sir!
      Thank you very much!

      Delete
  6. Good to see you back, John! And with such wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello John, there is some good work here. I particularly like the 'Blinking Bridge', which has good perspective and some nice 'lost-and-found' lines. I don't think you need to worry about your hatching; it's the whole drawing that matters, and these are excellent. Just keep at it and fluency will come in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for stopping by Keith. I always find your comments so very encouraging and this one is no exception. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Yep, I recognised that cottage immediately! Unmistakable! Your drawings are all stunning, but that one is my favourite :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's pretty recognisable Sandra ... iconic even. Thank you very much for such a lovely comment. ;-)

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you