Sunday 24 September 2023

Log Cabin - Part 2

The restoration of my fathers Log Cabin was not going very well. My first plan was to glue the 'logs' to the roof with an all weather PVA glue but I hadn't split the branches accurately enough for them to lay flat while the glue set, and all attempts to weigh them down proved unsuccessful. 

My Plan B was to use fine panel pins to tack the logs into place, either instead of the glue or in addition to the glue. That didn't work either because the old roof was too brittle and weather worn and hitting the nail with a hammer simply made a hole in the roof. There just wasn't anything solid enough to hammer too.

So I moved on to Plan C ..... I removed the roof completely and made a new one.

Though this meant starting again, the decision to make a new roof was the right way to go. 

I cut some plywood to the right size and then nailed the branches to it. It meant I was working with a much stronger base so I was able to secure the branches quite firmly.

Once I'd trimmed the logs to give a nice straight edge to the roof it was only a case of fixing the new roof panels to the rest of the building.

So, the cabin itself was finally finished, however, there was also a small Well that was in a poor state .... and yes, the 'bucket' is an old toothpaste cap. My Dad was nothing if not inventive.  :lol:

Restoring the Well just involved some glue on the upright posts and a couple of small pieces of plywood to fashion a new roof.

To round it all off, the cabin itself was given a really thick coat of exterior varnish. It made it look wet initially but I knew that the weather would soon reduce the shine. I wanted to give it as much protection as possible from the elements. 


I found a nice spot in the garden for it and it's nice to have it back on show. In some ways it doesn't feel right leaving it outside in all weathers, but that's what it's made for. It's lovely catching a glimpse of it every time I wander down the garden and I can see it clearly from the sun room every time I pass the picture window. If I only get a season or two out of it, it will have been worth the effort.


6 comments:

  1. John this is just lovely...had to smile about the toothpaste cap...looks like your creativity just may have been inherited from your Dad. Wonderful job. Thanks for sharing this special project. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Debbie. Yes, I pulled his leg about that 'bucket' for a long time. LOL

      Delete
  2. This is amazing and fun to see. I missed a couple of your posts so added you to my reader. You are an inspiration to all, beginners or ancients...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo and how lovely of you to add me to your reader. That's much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading and seeing how you made your repairs. I'm glad you found a way to redo the roof and keep the charm of the original one. I had to smile at the toothpaste cap. Your dad was clever like you. It looks perfect in that setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post Joan as I very nearly didn't write it. Thank you very much, your visits are always appreciated.

      Delete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you