Wednesday 25 May 2011

Old Shed

Here's a drawing of an old broken down shed that I've been working on during odd idle moments over the past week or so. I'm estimating it's probably taken me about 5 hours in total. I didn't find the shed itself particularly difficult but it was interesting trying to vary the shading and tones to create a 'weathered' look. But the biggest problem I had with the drawing was the grass/weeds. I didn't know whether to go for the simple sparse, "suggestion of" approach, or whether to attempt a detailed approach. In the end, I attempted detail, got lost, and finished up filling in with generic scribbles. Surprisingly. it's worked quite well but drawing grass is certainly something I'm going to have to look into. Overall I'm very pleased with the result.

4 comments:

  1. John, this is very nice, and has a lot of realism about it. I love the rendering of the shed, especially the corrugated roof. The backgound trees are lovely and as for the grass, it reads very well to me - so stop worrying :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michael. Yes, the grass looks ok, but there must be an easier way. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By going for detail in the grass, you've created a terrific sense of depth with the fence. It looks almost three-dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Keith, I appreciate that very much.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you