Wednesday 13 August 2014

Easing my way back



After a long abstention from painting I have finally taken up my brushes again. Regular followers will know that I enjoy working with Line & Wash and it therefore seemed the easiest way to ease myself back into painting. The first painting is an oval tub of Fuchsia's. Though I'm not a great gardener (pretty bad actually) I do have a passion for Fuchsia's. I have about 60-ish named varieties, and several plants of each, so that's a lot of plants. My garden is littered with containers and terracotta pots containing fuchsia's. This small oval tub with its weather stained wood and rusting straps contains a variety called "Snowcap".


The second painting is a sketch of a Narrow Boat I saw when walking the tow path of a stretch of the Grand Union Canal that passes fairly close to here. I find I can sketch plein aire much better than I can paint, so this medium suits me very well as I can do the line work in the field and add the colour back at home.


Finally, something completely different for me. In my forum we run regular challenges and this one was simply called 'Heat'. No pen or pencil here ..... just lots of wet yellows and oranges. It's entirely made up and looks more 'abstract' than anything else. Still, it looks hot, and that was the objective.


16 comments:

  1. Nice work here John. The first one has your usual high standard of line-work, with good use of colour as well. I like the reflections in the second one. The last one has a beautiful range of colours and textures, and certainly does look hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Keith. With that last one, I knew I was getting there when the bristles of my brush started smouldering. lol.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back here John. We all have those life disruptions where art takes a back seat.
    You've done well on all for someone who has been away from it ... I think your right back in step.
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind BJ and I very much appreciate your continual support. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Three wonderful paintings, John! It amazes me how you captured the weathered look in the wood tub with watercolors! Wonderful work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to Hilda John. I agree with what she says. And that third one, the abstract one, is certainly hot. All the best john.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh John, it's so wonderful that you have taken up your brushes again. Wonderful for us as well. I love them all and am particularly drawn to the fuchsias in the tub. Beautifully done! I too have, I think, began again and it feels good to actually have the desire to paint again. Good luck and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of you to come here and post Suz, and I'm thrilled to hear that you have rediscovered your desire to paint. That's fabulous!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh that heat painting is brilliant! Enjoy painting again

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, I am so happy you are back with brush in hand. Each and everyone one is exceptionally done. The heat painting is amazingly HOT, love them all keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. I enjoyed doing all of them but that last one was a lot of fun. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love your picture of the narrow boat. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.
    ~Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated and I value every one. Thank you